US or Canada? Where should I even work?

Published by admin on

Working in US or Canada

For many years now, the United States has been the destination for immigrants who relocate for the sole purpose of working abroad.

Exciting cities from San Francisco to New York, international brands from Walmart to Google and elite universities from Harvard to Stanford, the US has long been appealing to young graduates from all over the world who dream of pursuing their careers abroad.

However, new research shows that Canada is fast competing with USA in that regards. In fact, do you know that Google searches for “moving to Canada” spiked the moment Donald Trump was voted as the president of the United States? The surge in traffic was so high that Canada’s immigration website crashed. This simply means that both countries are currently competing for international talents.

If your desire is to pursue your career abroad and you have narrowed down your destinations to the US and Canada then this article is for you.

Briefly, we will be noting down a few points to help you decide where you should work between Canada and the US.

1). Immigration requirements for students or graduates

Given Canada’s population of 35 million citizens, the country welcomes about 300,000 immigrants yearly and this makes it a country with one of the highest immigration rates in the world. Statistically, over half of the immigrants are university graduates as the country’s primary target is to attract skilled professionals.

The United States is populated with 321 million people but as at 2015, only 521,000 legal immigrants where accepted. This simply means that entering the US is quite difficult and demanding. However, you shouldn’t find it that difficult to enter the US if you’re highly or have ‘exceptional abilities’.

2). How much can I earn from a graduate job?

The average first salary you should expect to earn in Canada is $36,500 (USD).

In the US, you can expect to earn around $47,000 (USD). This is significantly higher than Canada’s level.

3). Language

Both English and French are Canada’s official languages but statistically, three in five Canadians declare English as their primary language while one in five, French. About 98% of Canada’s population speak English and French while the remaining 2% is made up of about 60 Aboriginal languages spoken by the minorities living there.

The United States have no official language even though 80% of the people living there speak English. 12.4% speak Spanish while the remaining 6.6% speak French, Chinese and Tagalog (the language spoken in the Philippines).

There you go! Above are three key points that should help you decide whether you should work in the US or Canada.

Will you like to mention other important determining factors that we may have forgotten? You can help others decide where they will like to pursue their careers by contributing via the comments section below.

Categories: Jobs Guide

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *